Kickstarter - What is it?

Tuesday 6 August 2013

Kickstarter is my new 'go to' website, I love to browse around at everyone's incredible and creative little buisness ideas and how their story all began. Picking what to fund or what you might like to fund has the thrill of shopping but the 'feel good' of doing something like charity work, as your contribution gets to back someones passion and project full to bursting with their blood, sweat and tears. It's also inspiring and might get your creative juices flowing for a project of your very own!
For set amounts of donations, the project starter will also give you certain rewards, so that it doesn't feel like you are just pouring money away with nothing to show for it. The rewards that you are given are often aspects of the project that you are funding for a much cheaper price than you would have to pay when the product makes it to market!

I'd been browsing around, feeling inspired when I came across Chineasy, a way to learn Chinese. I found that the creator of Chineasy was helping to solve I problem that I myself had come across. There are very limited Chinese language learning resources in England, I really struggled to find anything worthwhile and 'approachable' in language learning so I could immediately relate to the purpose of Chineasy and the need that it would fulfill. After much thought and watching her Ted Talk that explains her methodology further.

Chineasy is teaching Chinese reading through clear, modern imagery that makes sense to help remember the word or phrase that the Chinese symbol represents, I saw it and fell in love. I've tried something similar myself to help remember the symbols as after all, every Chinese symbol came from an original picture that the symbol represents, but taking the time to come up with a way to remember that a square box for example means 'mouth' as well as the other 20,000 symbols takes time. Chineasy takes out the leg work for me!


I ended up pledging £25 for the book reward that contains over 100 characters, I'm really excited about that as I do have some Chinese childrens books to help me learn a few bits here and there, and this just adds to expanding my vocabulary.

I don't want to make this all about learning Chinese as obviously, that is not something that appeals to everyone. However, I would really urge you to have a little look around, and to get lost in little pockets of other peoples creativity and inspiration!

0 comments:

Post a Comment