Reading The Bay At Midnight

Tuesday 27 August 2013

In the last of what I can officially call my Summer reads, as summer is pretty much over now as the Autumn chill is creeping back in on me, but I don't mind too much because I always think that I have a better Autumn and Winter wardrobe than Summer, plus chilly days can on mean Christmas! And I love Christmas!

I got a little sidetracked there, back to my incredible and final Summer read...

161084

The Bay At Midnight by Diane Chamberlain is a book that has been recommended to me several times, albeit every time has been by the same friend but I finally got around to renting it from the library and it was one of the most captivating and immersive stories that I have ever read.

The structure of the book uses that old trick of telling a story from three different perspectives, in this case two sisters and their mother. It's not an original technique and at first it took me a while to get orientated with the switched but I soon got used to it.

The story is based around a families holiday cottage on the New Jersey shore that was a place of great comfort and fun memories for many years until the eldest sister of the family is murdered and the cottage is sold and the trauma swept under the carpet for many years.

As you read the book moves backwards and forwards in time, and I really connected with the younger storytelling of Julie. I felt as though if she and I had bumped into each other as eleven year olds we would have been great friends. As an older woman I find her character less relatable and more like listening to my mother but nonetheless still engaging.

There are several secondary events going on that progress the story forward, but it essentially is about piecing back together the murder of sister Isabel to uncover who really was responsible for her murder and the devastating effect of family secrets. Up until the last moment my mind was changing from one possible murder suspect to being convinced suddenly that it must be another suspect!

It is unput-downable and a great 'starter out' novel for someone like me who has never taken an interest in murder mystery novels before.

0 comments:

Post a Comment