What is my skin type?

Wednesday 31 July 2013

All the best makeup looks start from being able to accurately answer this question. We're all made slightly differently which explains why what works for me may not work for you. The answer to this question is not as clear cut as just 'oily skin' or 'dry skin' for everyone. For example, I have the oiliest skin imaginable, but I still get dry patches occasionally in winter on my cheekbones, in fact that was what I wrote one of my first ever blog posts about! In this way I know to apply oil free products to my face in general, but that if I am going to apply a regular moisturiser to only apply it to my cheekbones where I never get blemishes.

If like me, you have enlarged pores, your skin gets shiny, your skin feels greasy often mid way through the day and you're prone to blackheads and spots then your skin is on the oily spectrum and you should tailor your skin care products and makeup appropriately. It's always best to use gel or foam cleansers to wash your face over cream cleansers which can be too moisturising. Also, I cannot stress enough the importance of using a moisturiser afterwards but it must be one tailored to oily skin. If you deprive your skin of moisturiser just for the sweet feeling of dry skin that I so adore after I wash my face, then your skin goes into overdrive to produce oils in the night and you'll wake up with brand new blemishes and pools of oil on your face.. yum!

If your face often feels tight after cleansing rather than relieved at the sensation of being rid of all that oil and you can get red patches and flaking then your skin is on the dry spectrum. It is extremely important that you use products that are deep and rich in moisture that includes your facial cleanser, moisturiser and foundation. Neglecting to do this will create difficulty with makeup application as the dry patches can be further highlighted with makeup application since they can settle in cracks or the edges of patches in the skin.The best cleansers to use are cream or lotion based rather than foaming washes and good ingredients to look out for in products are Evening Primrose oil or just Rose oil.

If your T-zone is often clogged and greasy but your cheeks, around your eyes and neck can crack, feel flaky and look like fine lines are forming. In this case, it is best to use the same type of gentle lotion as your would for dry skin with very moisturising properties all over the face, but use much less of the accompanying moisturiser on your t-zone, lavender is an especially good ingredient to look out for to balance the skins oil production activity. The dry areas should be exfoliated about twice a week with a gentle facial scrub made up of fine exfoliants. Steer clear of Lush's Ocean Salt for example, which I adore but it is made up of large chunks of salt and would cause trauma to dry skin.

Getting your skincare regime right is often something that you won't be able to nail the first time around. I've had a proper skincare routine for about seven years now and I still haven't found 'the perfect' products, but I'm constantly changing and hoping that something will help my problematic skin to heal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment