Push for University

Wednesday 29 August 2012


This is a more 'serious' post, as far as my posts go, hopefully you'll still find some of it fun, but I want to put a diclaimer that this is not me telling you what to do with your life or how to get your dream career or what to do after school, it's just a little issue that I'm responding to.
Lot's of people have asked me what I think of going to university since the tuition fee rise, and this now is old news as the plan to put it in place was made last year, but this year is the first year that it is being utilised. Tuition fees have tripled for students beginning university this September. So people have been asking

Is university still worth it?

I would say, of course it is.

Now, just because I say 'yes’ does not mean that I hold the right answer, or that you need to agree with what I am saying as of course many, many success stories exist of people making their own way into established jobs with their skill set and dedication and being really reaaaallly good at interviews to beat other candidates with a degree.

This may be a ridiculous way to look at it, but my attitude to the fee rise was ‘it’s such an extortionate amount it’s not even worth thinking about’

So yes, this may be a ‘bury my head in the sand’ mentality, but that really is the way it is.
Kind of like when you dare to look at the amount of fat and salt in a McDonalds burger- it’s such a huge amount I can’t even think about it, but I’ll eat the burger anyway.

This is not me trying to make a joke out of something serious. Debt is a serious issue but the debt will go one of two ways for all graduates

Scenario number 1:
You earn over £21,000 a year, so you pay back your loan in monthly instalments for 30 years (or less, depending on the percentage they take and how much you earn) and the remaining amount after 30 years is wiped.

Scenario number 2:
You earn under £21,000 a year for 30 years and never pay a penny back.
 
It’s estimated that 50% of graduates will not pay a penny of their loan back, this can be seen positively or negatively. Negatively, because it’s depressing to think you did all that schooling to earn way under the national average for 30 years. Positive because gosh darnit you just got a free education!
 
So that’s my two cents, whatever your situation I wouldn’t let the fees put you off doing what you want to do because the loans are in place to allow university to be accessible to everyone, not just those whose parents can afford it.
 
For more fun information on this and universities in general I really found great comfort in reading www.push.co.uk it’s not boring, and I would read it as a nice break from reading all that stiff jabber about ‘higher education’, on many occasions ‘Push’ has made me really laugh out loud with their funny articles.


 
Now is the point where people in the UK are beginning university applications for the new year, so I hope this was a little help in that maze!

0 comments:

Post a Comment