You ate WHAT?

Saturday 25 August 2012

I'm not much of a burger eater, If I go to McDonalds I'll have the Chicken Burger but the first ever 'red meat' burger I ate was this Summer at TGI Fridays and it was pretty good I have to admit, but today my friend and I passed a place that sold the most exotic burgers I've ever seen including Ostrich and Buffalo, I thought they looked so strange that I had to try them!
A little curious and sceptical we went for the Ostrich as apparently it's the most popular so we thought that it had to be the most popular for one reason or another!


It doesn't look too delicious there, but it really was good. It was served in a wholemeal burger bun with seeds in which was an extra nice touch and the meat itself didn't taste like something from a fast food chain, it tasted more like 'real meat'
Never having heard of Ostrich meat before I decided to do a little research to see if there was any benefits to Ostrich meat over any other type of meat or whether it was just a bit of a 'fad'
Here's what I found:

Ostrich has two-thirds less fat than other red meat as well as more protein, fewer calories and less cholesterol than skinless chicken, skinless turkey, pork or beef.
Due to the low demand of ostrich, all natural and organic farming practices are more prevalent among ostrich farmers

On that note, we should be hoping that the demand of Ostrich stays low so that organic practices remain prevalent!

What do you tihnk, would you ever try and Ostrich burger?
What's the strangest meat you have ever eaten?


0 comments:

Post a Comment